Friday, June 03, 2011

Surviving life without sugar

Today is Day 4 of my first Daniel Fast. I don't think I was thinking clearly enough to post yesterday. There were times when I had to isolate myself, I was just that short-tempered. All day I just felt like I was recovering from the flu, when there's no illness really but you're still worn down and sore. Needless to say, a trip to Wal-Mart was not the best idea, but a necessary evil. Kayla asked for a box of Nilla Wafers, and I willingly obliged. Then I opened the box and a burst a sweetness popped out when I opened the bag. I inhaled it, deeply. Maybe even a few times. I even considered eating one. Possibly even the entire box, packaging and all. But I didn't

Today is better. I'm still feeling tired, but at a much more manageable level. I've been able to interact with the kids a lot more, and I'm even pretty sure they know I love and like them. Tomorrow we go to the Dekalb Farmer's Market for the first time in a long while. That should make this process more palatable. However, I am enjoying my meals a lot. I really don't feel like I'm missing out on the meat. It's just the bread, pasta, and sweets that are nagging at me every time I walk into the kitchen.

One thing I am relearning and I want to put this out there for the next time I try this, smoothies are a very good thing. I didn't know they would be good without sweetened yogurt, but they are. And they are made even better by coconut milk. For breakfast, I threw a handful of almonds in the blender until they were ground. Then I added a handful each of frozen mango, cherries, and blueberries. I added a few splashes of coconut milk and orange juice. It made for a very yummy and filling breakfast.

No comments: